Wednesday April 5, 2017
Ancient Greeks labeled gout as the "unwalkable disease". Centers for Disease Control estimate that by the year 2025 over 3.6 million people will suffer from gout in the United Stated alone. What can we do about this possible epidemic? First, let's learn what we're up against.
What is there to know about gout?
- Gout is a form of arthritis
- Gout is caused by an excess of uric acid forming in the joints
- Being overweight and poor diet increases the risk of gout
- Gout can affect the ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, fingers, even your big toe!
- The accumulation of uric acid from having gout can lead to the formation of kidney stones
I have gout, what can trigger an attack?
- Joint injuries or surgery
- Crash or yo-yo diets
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Consuming foods high in purines such as red meats and shellfish (purines form into uric acid once in the body)
- Carbonated sodas
Natural preventative and home treatment:
Drink plenty of water, decrease alcohol consumption, and eat a healthy whole food diet for starters. Research shows that a diet high in vitamin C can lower risk of gout. Raw foods high in vitamin C include brussel sprouts, broccoli, oranges, and noni fruit. Research also shows that a whole food plant based diet of fresh fruits and vegetables may decrease your risk of forming gout and controlling flare-ups.
Speaking of whole food, have you heard of Noni Fruit Leather? Hawaiian Organic Noni's Fruit Leather has a ratio of 14:1 concentration and is slowly dehydrated for over 60 hours below 115 degrees F. This preserves all the enzymes and compounds of the natural noni fruit as if you picked it off the tree yourself! This process makes the Noni Fruit Leather a raw plant based whole food that maintains the full potency of the raw fruit. Noni is also known for its powerful anti-inflammatory and pain relief abilities.